Monday, July 14, 2008

Home Sweet Home part II


Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it... Psalm 127:1 a

I hope you enjoy the blessings that make my house a HOME.

As I said in my previous post, I have lived here..one day at a time. In the course of life we gather precious memories and even items of remembrance that take us back to a special time...moment...or person. These are some I'd like to share with you.

I pray that GOD would be glorified in these remembrances...for he is surely the author of them. Without God in my life...I wouldn't appreciate the little things in life nor would I attribute the little things with the thankful heart that I have in regards to them. I cherish even more the people GOD has brought into my life over the years that are associated with these memorable items.


If you have read my story of Hope's Journey in Switzerland, you will know that I had to sell almost all my belongings to go where we felt led of the LORD. We journeyed to a foreign land with a few foot locker trunks, 5 suitcases and 4 children with twins on the way.

When the time came to leave Switzerland...we again had to part with most of our belongings. Choosing a few...the most memorable.

I'd like to say that I love to be creative...however, for me..there are limitations. I believe we can have a comfortable and beautiful home without going in debt and without being so caught up in the worlds view of what is "in".

I have known Christians that get so into decorating that they have let the "world" dictate what they want and NEED..but it isn't really a NEED..just a lust taken in by the world. Watch yourselves ladies! Use wisdom in your spending on the temporal things of life. Ask your self if it is time for doing a new project or if the expense is worth it...consider the Missionaries on the field...consider those around you with needs. I hate to mention this..but how about....the needs of your own family before the desire to paint that room...AGAIN...another color!!

Sometimes a simple rearrangement of furniture..even to another room can refresh your eyes of contentment! We are naturally prone to wanting something "new" or "different". I like what my Pastor says in preaching on this subject..."have you tried the NEW NEW NEW TIDE...how many ways can TIDE or any other laundry soap become new!! It's SOAP! But, this is what gets people's attention..something NEW.

And you wonder..okay how 'bout the NEW LIFE in CHRIST! and once it's been paid that is it! no more debt! Praise the LORD! That NEW in my life is the best ever! and forever! wow..no rust...no moths..no corruption! and then the NEW NEW will be a new body in Heaven!

and with this thought...

Know that The LORD Jesus Christ is the greatest treasure of our heart, not things.

I hope you enjoy this mini tour...

This photo is my guest/granddaughter/sewing room! The bed was my youngest daughter's and holds many happy "bouncy" memories of my grand daughter's visits. The plaque above the bed was given to me by my sister. There are several photos of my grandchildren and children scattered about the room and a tiny crystal vase that belonged to my grandmother. This is the room with the blue hutch my husband gave me (see in post about Unselfish Love). The framed picture is a lovely saying about a MOM being my friend from one of my daughters. I have a beautiful wreath above the window that my mother made for me.


The living room photo on my other post shows a painting above the fireplace..this was done by my eldest son at age 17! He was showing me what he had learned in a watercolor class on a tablet..I immediately fell in love with this..not only for the beauty but having watched him paint this in a matter of moments before my eyes. We had this framed while he was in USMC boot camp and surprised him on his return home. He couldn't believe HE had done this. I treasure this "gift" and the talent given by God to my son. He also did the illustration on my watering wells story of the pilgrim with his burden.

This small shelf in my entry area holds houses of Charleston South Carolina given to me as gifts (we have visited there as well) and the photo is of Charleston's Battery along the waterfront. The wreath is of sweet grass handmade, unique to the area. And..the figurine is a resemblance of my sweet dog Heidi that died last year. My mom gave me this years ago and I am so glad now that she did. Heidi was a very sweet pet. Her tag hangs on the figurine. Everyone that came to our home...was greeted by Heidi and all loved her.






This is our cozy reading spot. The lovely cover on the back of our chair came from Pam at Good News....I love this "touch" to my otherwise bland chair! And Pam is with me always in this spot! My books on the shelf are my favorites...Phillip Keller's A Shepherd Looks At Psalm 23...a journal..Quilting stories...and I have a personal story journal Pam gave me that tells all about ME! It is the neatest gift and I enjoy it so much...recalling my childhood favorites and so forth up to now! I also collect "mini" books for fun....and some are cute photos of kittens and dogs. My Grandchildren have spent countless hours with me in this chair reading books together.

This is my dining area... The shelf holds various Blue and White things. The lovely large plate I found at a flea market with my mom; the memory of carrying this on the airplane is always a reminder of my step dad helping me wrap it so it could make the trip! and a pretty stained glass "window" hanging was handmade for my mother and then passed on to me. I would have never dreamed that I would one day be able to have a "custom made" dining table! My husband wanted to get us a nice dining table made in Canada..we chose the chairs and the color of the wood table top and the blue color overall! Very unique. He then surprised me while I was away on a trip with the beautiful rug underneath and the walls painted a warm soft color.

My cart in the corner ..holds my Wedgewood tea set my husband wanted to purchase for me as a token of all the "teas" I have done for my church. My ceramic set on the cart and on my counter...was given to me piece by piece and the ones I did purchase I found for amazingly low prices. Just a cheery set I liked and not compelled by the world that this is the "IN" look.



The kitchen is such a blessing in size! I think maybe about 4 people could work in this kitchen! In fact when I had the reunion ..we did have 4 of us scattered at different ends cooking or serving! The little picture on the wall..my son also did on the spur...he was drawing this cute cow and I watched and said...add a little fence..now some flowers..now a Swiss cow bell..and then I said THANK YOU for the birthday present..can you now sign it to mom! I love it! The decor bottles..gifts from a sweet friend. And the pottery jar from Amish country of Ohio on a trip as a family.

Yes, the bathroom too! The watercolor is of the town in California where I grew up...and sand in the jar from the beach I played in as a child... the little seashell my granddaughter collected for me on a trip to the beach together...and the Sea Otter is also a reminder of my hometown growing up. We also visited the aquarium in Chicago and brought home a reminder of this special trip with some very dear friends. I have a white framed Scripture on another wall



Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

There is at least one if not more Scripture verses on the walls or on tables of each room in my home.

And lastly another loving gift from my husband,...my HOPE chest.



My husband and I had picked one out for one of our daughters for a graduation gift from nursing college.

On the day we "surprised" my daughter...we were all oohing and awing at hers in her bedroom, when my husband said...well go look at YOURS!

My family had replaced my yard sale chest with scratches for the new one. They placed the lamp and other nic nacs I had on top so I didn't even notice when I came in that I had a lovely new chest with beautiful painted heart on the front. He also had both my daughter and I gold plaques made on the inside of the lid.
The Quilt is one I made for my husband...the Quilt rack was a recent birthday gift! and the lovely green walls in our room, my husband also surprised me with one day. My favorite color!


I hope you enjoyed the tour for the reason of blessings bestowed many years later in life...patiently waiting on the LORD. I am very thankful and give it to the LORD each day..as his.

THIS IS THE DAY...I rejoice in a home filled with peace, contentment and joy in the LORD.

As the hymn A CHRISTIAN HOME says:

O give us homes where Christ is Lord and Master,
The Bible read, the precious hymns still sung.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

I look at my home as what the Lord has given to us to be caretakers. I have tried to look at everything I have and care for it to the best of my knowledge, knowing that it is given to us for a time to keep. I am very thankful for what I have and love to re-arrange and try to use everything I have. Great post! :)

HOPE said...

Thank you for stopping by Sharon...and visiting..me at home :)

Pam--in Jerusalem said...

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to comment sooner; my cable modem went out!

I loved getting this tour of your home. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this! And I feel so loved that I have a special 'seat' in the house where I'm remembered ;)

Love you!

HOPE said...

Yea you are back...and of course you have actually several special places in my house! ;) Your family photo in my sewing room where I spend a lot of time! and the lovely plate and Scripture on my living room walls...and the pretty fabric bowl you made on my dresser (need to put a photo of that)..

Your always with me most in heart.
HUGS...

Maxine said...

What a lovely, and loving home. It was such a blessing to "walk" through it with you on this tour. I have met so many sweet Christian people since I began blogging and it seems that the Lord has directed me to another one.
Thanks for your visit yesterday to my Scraps blog and for your encouraging comment. I've enjoyed coming here to see you and plan to come back. Please come see me again!

my house by the river said...

What a lovely home you have! How true your thoughts are in regards to how the Lord blesses us with all that we need. The world tends to overwhelm us with ideas - in my opinion - is just another way to spend money. Thank you for your sharing your home with us :)

blessings,

mari

~~Deby said...

I am learning contentment in my home and joy in *keeping it*....
Your home is lovely...I think my favorites (if there is such a thing) Is your throw from Pam on the back of your chair, beautiful, I love Paisely...all the paintings...love the little Otter in your bathroom....kitchen cabinets,and all..I love white..it always looks so clean and is easy to clean...your dining room...beautiful...the atercolor over the fireplace....Beautiful..I guess I could go on and on...
You are so right about getting caught up in the latest and greatest, I felt I was doing that for awhile and going away from what was *me*...the lovely stuff, so now I find a few things here and there for a few dollars and give my other away or sell...or donate...and trying to get back to a more simple cozy look....CHEAP...
Right now in my little Narrow Way Cottage I am looking for creative storage ideas etc...isn't being a homemaker, GRAND !!!!
Enjoyed this post per usual also the scriptures and spiritual thoughts that you add in...always a blessing,
Deby