Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Unconditional LOVE


Well here is unconditional love...my dog... GUS.


He is the sweetest dog...albeit my other dog Heidi was hard to surpass. She passed away last January. But, Gus has made a name for himself and I can't help but find a blessing in his "furry" life he lives.

We had a hard time deciding on a name for him. He should have been called "Shadow" as he is definitely that! MY shadow. I can't go anywhere that he is not right behind me or next to me.

Well, then there was his bark...and we contemplated... "BOB THE BARKER"... You'll catch on in a moment!

and lets see... I had a list who knows how long...but GUS just stuck and sounded like a nice masculine name... for a Puppy! He was only 5 weeks old when our son delivered him to us in a plastic laundry basket!

I'll never forget one night trying to train this little black ball of fur out in the backyard in the dark! Ever try keeping an eye on something black in the night!

I panicked and said...oh, no..Gus where are you? and then I looked down and there was two tiny eyes in the moonlight peering up at me! whew...was I relieved.

I don't know if I should tell you this or not..but he does ..yes..talk!

He does a good job of ... MOM! and this is not bragging...I have "witnesses!"

Some days without my children or grandchildren around (which is every day now that they are all moved away) I can get pretty...well... sad.

Missing the lively activity and playful glees of happiness.

Gus....he may be a dog...but whatta dog!

God's creation...and what a joy that GOD created such creatures to befriend us or is it the other way around? I just know that Gus and I are friends and his little ways sure can bring smiles and laughter. That bit of sadness...disappears when we go out to throw the ball or he tries to sneak up on a squirrel.

His love is unconditional...I think. A cookie now and then does help I suppose. But, all in all...he's a pretty friendly beast!

Proverbs 12:10a A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast...

This is the day...I am just thankful for small blessings we have in pets. I know many of you have them and could say the same. They are a good responsibility for kids to learn compassion at a young age in caring for others..yes even a dog or cat. It teaches them the need of others...and it can also teach them discipline...walking or feeding their pets.

I remember one of my daughters wanting a "pet" all her own...a friend gave her a rabbit! She loved cuddling her "bunny" and taking care of it. It was hers...to love and it loved her back....unconditionally.

Oh that we could love like this...that we could love the souls of men without reservation as the LORD Jesus did...SINNERS.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love towards us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

We are so quick aren't we to judge people by their looks or behaviour. So many testimonies of those who might not have been given a Gospel tract...are the very ones receptive and seeking.

Forgetting what manner we were ...

I Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you:
but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.


I'm always so glad when I've given that tract, when I could have had conditional love...and chosen who I thought was worthy...instead of unconditional in giving them hope.

What joys we have in Christ...and how much more we can view the blessings of life with the creation around us that speak of His unconditional love.

As the song of my sweet friend Bryn Riplinger sings..

Have the flowers ever failed to bloom...
Has the sun ceased to shine at noon...
Is there a Sparrow that's fallen down..
Without my hearing the sound...

My child if I care for these..
I'll surely care for thee...


Matthew 10:31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

10 comments:

Daughter of the King said...

What a great post.
As a dog lover ...I have to tell you, you are the only one, besides me, that I have ever heard say the Bob Barker phrase in conjunction with a dog....I could hardly believe it when I read it...
I keep telling my husband Chloe is going to say *mama* one day as I am trying hard to teach her. She sits by me as I blog on my laptop...and is such comfort...

OUCH...to love others as I love my dog....wow..I never thought of it like that and right now I am feeling some conviction over a situation where I know I am giving *conditional* love..ouch ouch....

Thank you Lord for using this post to touch and convict me, from this dear lady, who I have never met in person.

blessings to you for this and these words...I have a phone call to make.

Deby

Daughter of the King said...

I have heard that Bry Riplinger's CD's are wonderful....thanks for sharing the words.
Deby

HOPE said...

I'm thankful that this helped you Deby...

Thanks for encouraging me and letting me know that we think ..
"a like" ;)

Pam--in Jerusalem said...

Okay, it's taking some effort to really understand the feelings behind this one. I have never been an animal lover. I've always thought it would be unfair for us to have a pet because I know that it won't get as much attention as it deserves. But reading this brought a different thought to my mind. Unlike those of you who give unconditional love to your pet and have to strive to do the same for people, I can't even give it to an ANIMAL! That doesn't sound good for me... I guess I have some soul-searching to do. I know that I can be judgmental sometimes; I am working on that. Thanks for the convicting post, Hope!

Oh, and even though I'm not a fan of animals, that picture of Gus is ADORABLE!

HOPE said...

Well Pam...I guess one day when you get settled ;) a nice calm sweet Schnauzer might be a good firt time "pet".

They do have the greatest disposition and ease to care for AND a good size for kids.

Gus is suppose to be a "mini" but he has become a Standard! At 18 inches tall and 30 lbs. All a fluffy "teddy bear".

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

A wonderful post! I am so thankful that God is not a respecter of persons. I might have very well been one of those who was left out of his grace and mercy.There is nothing special in me except that I have my Lord Jesus Christ in me. So without Him, I am nothing.

We lost our sweet doggie of thirteen years a few months ago. It left a big hole in our hearts. We think about getting another one but haven't done it yet, Maybe soon.connie from Texas

HOPE said...

I know the heartache Connie..Heidi was 13 also.

I hope you do get a new furry friend..

Amen...we are what we are..by the GRACE of God.

Thank you for your sweet friendship Connie. God Bless

JustinB said...

I love his name he's so cute!

Thanks for visiting my blog.


~~~~Justin

Heather said...

What an adorable picture...as of now, I just don't think I could take on the repsonsibility of a pet in addition to my children! Maybe in a few more years :)

Mimi said...

We need to start our own Schnauzer Blog Network with Joy & anyone other schnauze parents out there!

I had forgotten about trying to find a tiny black dog outside in the darkness!