Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The witness



One evening after the children were put to bed; my step mother prepared a wonderful cinnamon tea. Each cup held the aroma of a pleasant sweetness.

During this evenings tea...I gave my father and his wife my testimony of salvation. An added blessing for me in being able to share my testimony was to have the very one who led me to the LORD right beside me...my husband.

The opportunity to witness has got to be one of the greatest joys in a Christian's life. To recount that glorious day when one has trusted Christ as their personal Saviour. The beginning of a new life! That fulfilling moment of a clear conscience!

FORGIVEN!!!

A favorite hymn of mine:

Redeemed how I love to proclaim it

Redeemed by the blood of the lamb

Redeemed through his infinite mercies

His child and forever...I am..

Redeemed..Redeemed...

Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb!

Redeemed and so happy in Jesus

No language my rapture can tell..

I know that the light of his presence

With me doth continually dwell..

Redeemed...Redeemed...


and so with my witness...came not only the joy of telling of the mercies of GOD, but the joy of speaking...in person...to my earthly father...about my Heavenly Father.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:16-17



My father and his wife were very kind in listening, expressing their happiness for my life.

His wife had grown up in church and had sang in the choir in her youth.

My dad....he was an atheist.

...a recovering alcoholic, he had been sober for a year.

It was quite alarming for me to find out my father was an atheist.

my happy world had been shattered.


I felt I had lost him again...in my heart.... where I held the treasure of his presence and that dream of..."My Earthly Father".....and his receptive heart intertwined in mine with my "Heavenly Father".

A man of his own means...he was proud of himself having taken on the challenges of his life. He was strong now and of course happy with his new found family.

When I went to bed each night of our visit; I prayed that the light of God's presence would shine in us and my father could not deny GOD any longer!

I thanked the LORD for the continuing days we had in our visit and each door of utterance that opened, revealing GOD in our lives. We requested prayer at each meal. The children sang Sunday School songs...compelling his wife to sing along familiar songs from her youth.

These moments lifted the burden of my heart...reminding me...GOD is in our midst always. His work continues as we wait patiently...trusting in his good work.


This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous and then thou shalt have good success.

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersover thou goest.

Joshua 1:8-9

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Isaiah 55:11

9 comments:

Pam--in Jerusalem said...

Hope, I knew our stories had their similarities, but I didn't know we had THIS much in common! I didn't know your Dad was an atheist; just like my Mom. Maybe you told me that and I forgot? This does give me even more HOPE.
What a blessing that you were allowed to witness to them and have them politely listen. In my family that always ends in a heated debate! I can't wait to read the next part of your story :)

Joy in the Burbs... said...

Hi, I had to come by and see Gus. Oh, how I love Miniature Schnauzers too. Libby was a rescue dog. We've had her 4 years this month. She has brought so much personality, fun and joy to our home and just like Gus she loves me unconditionally and follows me everywhere I go. I'm going to blog on her one day.
Back to the subject of your post. I'm blessed to read your huband led you to the Lord when you were 19 years old. I'm glad you were bold and able to share with your father and his wife. I love the Joshua 1:8 scripture and hold to that promise that all the scripture that we put into our minds and that of our children will always be there. I can't believe you keep up with 3 blogs. I'm in awe. God bless and I've bookmarked your site and plan to come back and visit and get some sweet encouragement. I'm glad to meet another sister in Christ. I hope it Glory the Lord will allow all of us Blogger sisters to meet up.

Sara said...

Each time I read a new post from you, I can't wait to read the next part!

That was an amazing opportunity you had to show Christ's love to your dad and share with both of them your personal salvation story. What a disappointment it must have been to find out he was an atheist. But, as the main theme of your blog keeps pointing out, there is always HOPE.

That Good Part said...

I've never met an atheist in person...what a shock that must have been!

GRANDMA'S KITCHEN said...

What a sad yet hopeful story. An eartly Father who didn't believe in God and a Heavenly Father who wanted to give all to your earthly Father. It must have been a somewhat sad time for you. I know I remember the sadness I felt for the years that I knew my Dad was lost and unless he was saved he would be lost forever. He was a slave to drink. I just kept praying and praying and one great day, he was saved. Now I know that when I die I will see him again in heaven. connie

Joy in the Burbs... said...

You inspired me. I wrote a blog on Libby. Check it out when you have time.

~~Deby said...

When I find out someone is not saved, or someone tell me so and so is not saved...I always add the word *YET*....as there is always HOPE..
Deby

Ruthie said...

Thanks for coming by to visit.

It was so interesting to read your story - and looking forward to more of your posts.
With God, nothing is impossible!
And your father heard the Good News and a seed was certainly planted in his life.

Blessings.

Maxine said...

I like what Deby said: there is always hope. You never know how God is going to use anything. This is quite a story.