Monday, November 10, 2008

Blessed Assurance

Upon returning from Switzerland...we had a few days visit with my dad and step mom on our journey to my husband's new job in another state. He could see by our lives that everything in spite of our trials overseas...was back to normal and we could laugh and enjoy life. Our prayers still faithfully said at each meal. No bitterness had set in...no sorrows carried on...but joy in the LORD, for his goodness and grace.

Did he ponder in his heart..why? I can't help but know he did.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought about this song today "Blessed Assurance" and the words so touched me. This was exactly our story upon our return from a fiery trial of faith. That blessed assurance of God's care...perfect submission all is at rest. Watching and waiting, looking above..filled with his goodness,lost in his love.

Blessed Assurance

Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine! O what a fore-taste of glory divine! Heir of salvation, purchase of God, Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

This is my story..
this is my song, Praising my Savior all the day long; This is my story, this is my song. Praising my Savior all the day long.


Fanny Crosby 1820-1915


Dear Reader..is their a song in your heart today? Is there not a remembrance of God's goodness? Don't place your harps upon the willows! Sing once again the songs of Zion!

I still recall the blessed hymns I listened to while in Switzerland and leaning on God's strength. Those songs are so very precious to me now. Oh, how they bring me back to the time....of great need...and great comfort..found only in my Saviour.

Sweet Hour of Prayer

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, That calls me from a world of care
And bids me at my Father's throne, Make all my wants and wishes known
In seasons of distress and grief, My soul has often found relief
And oft escaped the tempters snare, By thy return sweet hour of prayer.

William W. Walford 1772-1850


These songs...

and indeed that precious time of prayer...would be very important in the days ahead.

5 comments:

Pam--in Jerusalem said...

If only all Christians could see how bitterness not only poisons your own self, but also your testimony towards others. I'm so glad you didn't let this happen and hinder the Holy Spirit's work in your Dad's life.

Deborah said...

I love both of those hymns....looking forward to the next post!

GRANDMA'S KITCHEN said...

Dear Hope, Such a blessing, Bitterness is a terrible thing. When it springs up, it always deviles many. I am so glad that you all kept your trust in God and had the assurance in your hearts that He was working all things to your good. He would sure use it in your Dad's life, I am sure. How could we ever turn our back on God? He is always proving His love for us through His Son.connie

Sara said...

Beautiful hymns! I especially love Blessed Assurance. It is such a comfort to know that we as Christians have that assurance in Christ. He will never leave or forsake us.

"No power of hell, no scheme of man,can ever pluck me from His hand. Till He returns or calls me home, here in the power of Christ I'll stand." ~In Christ Alone

In Christ Alone,
Sara

P.S. Thank you for reading my blog! I feel encouraged...I really would like to continue it. =)

~~Deby said...

Oh my do hymns touch down to the depths of your heart..thank you for sharing these...it is wonderful how the Lord brings certain ones to mind just when we need them.
Deby