Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Where are you?

It wasn't long after we settled into our new place of residence...that I received a heartbreaking telephone call.

My dad and step mom were getting a divorce! What?....it seemed my dad had it altogether? The bottle had taken over once again.

His own iniquities shall take the wicked himself, and he shall be holden with the cords of his own sins. Proverbs 5:22


My dear sweet step mom could take it no longer...and sadly, he understood.
How helpless he must have felt. He told me to always keep in touch with her and that she was the most wonderful woman in the world. He wanted us to remain "family".

And we have....she is now just as dear to me ... if not more.

My dad moved to the western U.S.

My husband eventually transferred back to his original job, before our moving to Switzerland. We were happyback at our home church where we basically, grew up in the LORD. Newlyweds, I, only saved a year and my husband three years...this ministry was our foundation of learning the precious precepts of the Word of God and the testimony of it's strength found in the King James Bible Version.

Without this sure foundation of confidence that built and nourished my faith...I don't think I would have survived the trial of Switzerland (Watering Wells of Hope).

Surely we are indebted to those Saints who encourage us and teach us the right way wherein we should walk...with the wonderful guide The Holy Bible... filled with the examples of those who followed Christ in the past. The book of Hebrews..the Christian Hall of Faith...and then there are the modern day Saints of today that we know. Ones who's walk of faith bear witness with ours...that we are the children of God.

My dad and I corresponded a few times and then...once again...he is gone. No word...no answers to mail...nothing.

"Dad, Where are you?"...
I'd pray and call this out...

"Lord, please once again help me find this poor lost soul, he needs you!"

A year or so went by...and my step mom contacted me saying she found out that my dad was living with my Uncle. (the Uncle who helped me find him in the beginning!) Only now he lived in the southern U.S. Maybe I can contact my dad again?

another..."Please forward" ...letter.

I did indeed. Sure enough my dad was there. He had a bout with cancer of the mouth and went through treatments while at his brother's home. He was now on his way up North. He wanted to go to a place for veterans who had no home.

"No HOME!"

My heart ached to hear such words from a man who...when I found him...had a lovely home and sweet wife. He coached a children's sport and was active in many areas of community service. Now this.

He had no hope...an Atheist...has nothing to trust in but himself.

My dad, was a very intelligent man, an officer in the military service, a man at one time who processed great leadership qualities.

What happened?

Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey...
Romans 6:16


My dad had chosen to be servant to sin. Drink..had consumed his life.

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful: but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Romans 2:21


My dad in his heart knew God. He had written a poem once during his military service..about...GOD. (Was he really? an Atheist? or was this an excuse to live life they way he wanted)

Since he planned on moving up North...he said, he would stop by and visit for a few days.

When he arrived...he came in an old car with a box in the trunk. His sole possessions of life.

How my heart ached...while he hugged his little Princess.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Hebrews 11:1

4 comments:

Pam--in Jerusalem said...

How sad, what sin will do to a life! I'm sure that the Lord used this 'bottom' in his life to have no where but UP to look. -- I guess we'll find out as we continue to read your story!

Sara said...

That is so sad! Your heart must have been broken when you lost contact with your dad again. I am really looking forward to hearing the rest of you story, because as you keep saying, there is always hope!!

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sis..
Never never lose hope, and never give up on the one you love.. My Dad gave his life to the Lord 3 months before he passed away from kidney failure, he was not a believer, and cursed God at times. But I did not preach to me, but showed him God's unconditional Love through me. It was worth the 20 yrs of praying for him and loving him even when he was lost in sin. He said those last three months were the peaceful and painless months, he wished he had given God a chance earlier.

Hugz Love.

Maxine said...

I'm so sorry this story had to be so sad up to this point, but it's not over yet. Looking to hear the rest of God's dealings in the life of your father. Many folks do have to hit bottom before they really open their hearts to God's Word and truth.