Tuesday, December 16, 2008

How Great Thou Art!



HEAVEN AT LAST

The words so touching...on the floral arrangement placed by my father's casket. My church knew the perfect words for him at this time.

The piano player, our Pastor's daughter played his favorite song with blurry eyes.

"HOW GREAT THOU ART"

And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died, to take away my sin!


THEN SINGS MY SOUL, MY SAVIOUR GOD TO THEE
HOW GREAT THOU ART...HOW GREAT THOU ART...
THEN SINGS MY SOUL, MY SAVIOUR GOD TO THEE
HOW GREAT THOU ART...HOW GREAT THOU ART!


Each time I hear this song...I too want to shout!

HOW GREAT THOU ART!!


Oh, the riches of his grace...for all he has done.
Not for me alone or my dad...but for all mankind!

Can you grasp the depth of His love
His mercy and his forbearance
to die for sinners...
and patiently wait for them
to receive his wondrous salvation!

It took years for my father to receive Christ as his Saviour.
But, he did. He took that step of faith and humbled himself;
cast off pride and unbelief to take the promise of GOD.

For by grace are saved through faith;
and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God...
Ephesians 2:8

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth,
the gospel of your salvation; in whom also after that ye believed,
ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise.
Ephesians 1:13



As we listened to my Pastor speak of my dad's changed life and the joy he brought to so many in that change. Hearts were encouraged and full of thankfulness.

Remembering the beginning...

A daughter's hope...and desire

A step of faith...patient in the work of God

Strength of prayer...and the Truth

A yielded heart...one's own choice

A calm assurance and peace...

Salvation.

This was on my heart. HOW GREAT THOU ART!


As we drove to the National Cemetery to honor my dad for his military service as well; I looked in the rear view mirror...

TWENTY EIGHT cars following behind us....

My husband and children listened as I recalled his arrival a few years prior...

an old car...a box with few belongings...no hope...without God

NOW...friends honoring his life of faith and hope. Friends bringing their hearts of joy and loss to share with us...his family...the peace of God's promises fulfilled.

As the taps played and I was given his flag, the final prayer said...

I was so very thankful to be

HIS LITTLE PRINCESS

10 comments:

Pam--in Jerusalem said...

What a touching "ending" to this story! You can't even be sad about it... there's just too much to praise God for!

Sara said...

I was brought to tears after reading this post, but God really worked so beautifully in your life and your dad's! What an encouragement to you and your family that he became a bold witness for Christ after becoming saved. And now you have the assurance that you will most definitely see him again!

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

That made my heart cry and yet rejoice. It reminded me so much of my Dad and yet details were so different. The most important thing that in both of their lives they found the Lord Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour before it was too late. This one fact made all the difference in their lives and in the lives of those that loved them. Our God is such a great God.

A really wonderful post, Hope. connie

I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas. connie

~~Deby said...

oh this is touching as Pam said...beautiful...we serve a great GOD, indeed.
Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful *ending* which is really a wondrous beginning for him ...

Blessings!

Joy in the Burbs... said...

I'm so happy God gave you the desire of your heart. Seeing your Father come to know Him and serve Him. Reading this testimony has really blessed me. Thank you for sharing this with us.
How Great Thou Art!

Merry Christmas,

Joy

Beverly said...

What a blessing this story is, Hope. Your father was a testimony to His Lord, and I love the words selected by your church to place by his casket. I am so glad that you have the confidence that you will see your Father again. Love to you.

Maxine said...

God bless you. You have honored your father in these posts.

May you all be blessed this Christmas and rejoice in the God of you and your dad.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Hope,
Our Fathers seem to have a familiar story, my dad like yours found the Lord later in life and it seemed like such a struggle. In the end he made his peace with the Lord and recieved him into his heart and life three months before he passed away. I could tell he somehow wished he had made his decision much sooner because he had such a peace on his face after. But we both can rejoice in knowing that we will see them once more when we get to heaven. What a day of rejoicing there will be!!!

Beautifully written my sistah!!

Luv ya Lorie

Rhonda Throne said...

Hi Hope,
I just talked about Mr. Frank the
other day to Billy. I remember all the tasty cakes he baked for us. He was very kind...Love ya, Rhonda
I just found this page under the Calvary Baptist web-site, I was looking for some preaching while I was at work...I'll be back