Monday, December 8, 2008

Missionaries...my dad and me


My dad and I now embarked on a new journey together.

Missionaries to the souls of men at the V.A. Hospital!

He needed to have radiation treatments to ward of the cancer returning again, he did not want chemo.

We made weekly trips....and while my father was in with the doctor: I sat in the waiting room amidst many war veterans. Some experiencing the same disease as my father, some other health issues. All men...who needed hope!

As I sat in the waiting room..I'd pass out tracts, readily received! What joy filled my heart at this reception. Even if I didn't get to say a word..THE WORD was given and they could read it.

I recall one elderly man in particular whom I had the privilege of striking up a conversation..which then led to a witness of God's saving grace. This sweet man listened so intently and as my father came in to leave, the gentleman shook his hand and expressed his happiness at meeting me and our comforting chat.

I don't know if this man got saved...God does. Just the opportunity to share God's love and amazing grace was my joy! Perhaps..I hope..one day to see him again and know that this time was his to receive Christ as his Saviour.

My dad got a kick out of my "mission" while he was with the doctor..and so from that time on we called these our "missionary journey's" together. It made the dreadful trip for the treatment worth it all!

My father and me...doing a work for the Lord...together.

And it all began...with a simple letter of HOPE.

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. Isaiah 55:11

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6

7 comments:

Pam--in Jerusalem said...

What a wonderful thing to be able to share with your father... missionary journeys :)

Sara said...

That's so special you and your dad had the opportunity to witness at the hospital! Praise God...

~~Deby said...

What a testimony of how the Lord works...and to be sharing this with your dad..WONDERFUL
Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

What a wonderful opportunity while your father was getting his treatment and then to have it become a *mission* that both of you could do together ... how special :o)

Joyfulsister said...

Amen!! What a beautiful post my sistah!! My husband is a Vietnam vet and at the VA Hospital there are so many needing just someone to brigten up their day. I'm touched that you are giving the most precious gift to them and that is the gift of Jesus, We may never see the results of whatever happens to them after, but oh when we get to heaven, what a reunion we will have, and see!!! Thanks for your prayers and for your precious poem!!

Luv ya Lorie

Sharon said...

How wonderful to be able to witness to the veterans! God leads each of His children to a place where we can shed forth HIS Light. I am so happy to know that your dad's illness didn't discourage his walk with his Savior.

CONNIE'S THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART said...

I can think of no greater way to share with a Father than you have done. I am sure that it will not be in vain. In a place where there is at time little hope and then to be able to give hope the greatest hope. What a true blessing. connie