Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Our Testimony of the WORD


As I was reading my devotions and appreciating the wonderful joy of God's written Word...I thought about the "wordless book" Pam at Good News created with her children.

This book... just pages of color...yet told the story of the blood shed by Christ~ RED, the blackness of sin -BLACK. I began to think about our daily walk in the LORD and what people see or hear.

I then pondered the thought:

"Without words...what does my life say about my Saviour the LORD Jesus Christ?"

I began to list somethings to consider:

My APPEARANCE: dress, hairstyle, expressions,

My ACTIVITIES: homemaking, decor, hobbies,

MY APPETITE; music, entertainment,

Once I made this list..I thought?

Do Christians really take these things to heart?

We hear preaching about our walk, but do we really analyze each aspect of our walk with the LORD. We are to be ambassadors of Christ.

A representative of HIM!

Christians are "little Christ"... the disciples were the first to be called Christians.

Acts 11:26b ..And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Why? They had a distinction about them that set them apart and people knew...

THAT IS A CHRISTIAN!

Yes, there are counterfeits out there. I see them all the time...yet, something tells us there is something askew about them.

For what saith the scripture? Romans 4:3

Search the scriptures for what GOD says. Compare scripture with scripture.

Do you see a genuine wholesomeness about those who do who claim to be Christians?

Men or women!

God doesn't make cookie-cutter Christians...the Bible is full of whosoever will...but, our choices do manifest the heart's desire in doing God's will.

I wrote down "expressions" because I recently had a conversation with someone about their facial "expression" showing dissatisfaction during a choir practise! The choir director brought it to her attention. It can send signals to the entire congregation!

"oooh... did they not like how the Choir sounded? or was it the song leader? Maybe it was the piano player?"

mmmm? uh oh...sending some people into the THOUGHT zone! and away from the message of the choirs song of praise!

It doesn't even have to be in church...what about in public? Do you have a look of complaint or impatience! Patience is a virtue that is always appreciated with the public. I can't tell you how many times I have had a cashier or office worker thank me for waiting patiently, not complaining when I got to them. What a great opportunity then to give a Gospel Tract! and readily received!

I also put hairstyle..because even a hairstyle can speak too loud...taking away from the garment of Christ in you the hope of glory! He is the glory...not us! I like to look nice and presentable...but we must be careful...as with all our appearance..jewelry...makeup...perfume etc. The mirror does wonders for our spiritual check up. What you see...a wordless book...is what the world sees.

..."People will read you, before they read a Bible!"

Do your activities show your heart desire in living? Homemaking~ is it a drudgery or challenge...or is it a noble calling to be an example of Proverbs 31...married or single! Remember to do all to the Glory of GOD.

Are your activities full of time consuming things that bring in pride and competition...maybe even cause you to miss...church!

Or how about hobbies? I love to quilt and do crafts...I am very careful of how much time I give to it. Is your hobby expensive (quilting can be!) or do you limit your expenses and mindful of "missions" or the needs of your own church or others. Some hobbies can just be for enjoyment...is it wholesome, time well spent? Even blogging!

If you walk by a car or house and just hear music (no words) can you distinguish what kind it is? Does the beat or tune...appeal to your flesh (the old man)? You know when it happens..you know from your lost state versus your saved soul, what music truly would testify to others; what kind do they hear from you? Is there a difference that people know without the words?

Entertainment...DEF: an activity to give pleasure or relaxation
opera, movie, literature...sports can be but falls into the term of "recreation" which involves active participation beyond mere leisure.


Do you watch a movie or t.v. controlled by the media? Unknown commercials or movie trailers shown that you wouldn't have watched if you had the choice. YOU DO!

Can you control what you watch? Yes.

Someone recently said to me...

"if my child should not watch it..neither can I!"

That's' it in a nutshell...we are to come to God as a little child are we not?

So as a child in heart we also should be innocent and with a pure mind and heart!

We chose to get rid of our T.V. before we had children...over 34 YEARS ago! and how glad I am. I have not missed it at all. My children saw it of course at other homes...but, it did not control our home. It did not dictate our way of dress, our hours of home life and devotional times. It was not the center of the house! It was not the focus of our attention.

I grew up with T.V. we watched it in the morning before school...we watched it after school (I squeezed in homework) and we watched it DURING dinnertime! Did I have a "HOME-life" ...no.

If I still had children in my home..I would not have the Internet. I gasp at the advertisements just on email sites! and to think of all the children allowed to have email accounts! I like gmail for this very reason...no photos.

This was a good devotion for me. I am always glad to do a "check-up". I want to hear the words of my Lord one day..

Well done.

I pray that the WORD of God reveals my heart over and over so that I can continue to strive to do my best...HE is so worthy and souls so precious.

I love this Hymn...

I wonder have I done my best for Jesus
Who died upon the cruel tree
To think of his great sacrifice at Calvary
I know my Lord expects the best from me.

How many are the lost that I have lifted?
How many are the chained, I've helped to free?
I wonder have I done my best for Jesus,
When he has done so much for me.


Ensign Edwin Young 1895

My check ups come daily. In this New Year..I want to do better. I want to guard my eyes, my mouth, my heart...ALL. So that come the next New Year, I will be able to rejoice, I pray..in a fruitful year, because of obedience to His Word, His Will and His Ways.

My prayer this year is;

Psalm 139:23 Search me O God, and know my heart:try me and know my thoughts...

A "Winter" season in my life is passing now and I look forward to the Spring that is bringing new buds of joy into my heart. (I'll post later about the "seasons" of a Christian's life).

May I encourage you in this Scripture for 2009.


Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

8 comments:

Sara said...

wow, very thought-provoking post! It made me analyze some of the things I let in my life without thinking. Thanks so much for the reminder, Hope.

Sara

Deborah said...

Great post! About the internet...I like gmail too..especially that they almost always catch the spam...but somehow I've got on an awful list and get spam from it every day... I'm thankful it goes into the junk, and I've also become even more careful about allowing Justin to use his gmail in case he sees some of this garbage!

Lisa said...

I enjoyed reading this post. We can easily get caught up in worldly pleasures if we do not keep our eyes and ears on the things of God.
Blessings.Lisa

~~Deby said...

Oh is this a EXCELLANT post, Hope and like a checklist...it sort of goes with the book I just finished (posted about it on my blog a few days ago)....there are some areas, I KNOW that need work on....to achieve balance, to put the Lord first...to not just talk it, but to truly WALK it, to be light in the darkness...
Yes Mam, this is a keeper of a post.
Deby

HOPE said...

Thank you Sara, Deborah,Lisa and Deby for the encouraging comments.
Thank you for your friendship and your blogs that encourage me.

God bless you with the fruit you desire in your life to HIS praise and glory.

HOPE

Lori said...

Hope - Thanks for posting this! This is something that I needed to read and think about again.

I remember when my husband was ordained, one of the men on the ordination board told him, always look like a preacher - even if you are in a pair of jeans.

Being a preacher's wife can sometimes be hard - especially if I have been working out in the yard and need to just run to the store for a quick minute. That can be horrible, if I am caught looking a mess. Traveling on deputation is also hard. I keep a small cosmetic bag in the front with me, so I can always look decent when going in a store or a restaurant.
Thanks again.

Michele said...

This post blessed my heart tremendously, thank you! I am going to link to it in my side bar under 'Good Reading'.

And your Gus is adorable!

Blessings....
Michele

Joy in the Burbs... said...

When we truly do an inventory of our wordless life it can be very convicting. Is there really that much difference between my lifestyle and a worldly lifestyle.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,


Joy