Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Wonderful Birthday SURPRISE!



Today began very special with a lovely bouquet from my husband, for my 55th Birthday.

Then a loving package arrived from my daughter and g'children in New York. The cards from the children are precious treasures!!



Each gift was carefully wrapped in PINK with the cutest pink, lime green and daisy ribbon. The children picked out a nice silver pin for my church jacket...it looks like GUS my Schnauzer! The package was filled with all sorts of wonderful gifts. Some I'll blog on later next week.

I thought today would be a quiet birthday and maybe a few phone calls...was I ever SURPRISED...when...

two of my closest friend's and FAMILY...rang the bell at dinner time with loads of boxes of sorted Pizza's and an Ice Cream Cake...and gifts galore! with both families that consisted of an additional 13 people with my husband and I.

"The Party Began"


I was overwhelmed with the thoughtfulness and kindness of my friends. We ate, opened gifts and played Apples to Apples Bible Version...and believe it or not..I won! A fun not so competitive game. I liked that. We laughed and I wanted to cry several times..for the joy they brought to me this night.

The sweet fellowship.

It isn't expressed with words...

Since my surgery, I hadn't been back to church due to dizziness and some nausea. So tonight, they also brought in a huge basket loaded with gifts...from the ladies of my church. (sorry for the fuzzy photo)Yes. that is me, finally in a pic...with my faithful little pal GUS The Schnauzer.





The gifts were each wrapped with sweet flowers attached and many homemade cards. All the cards expressed love and concern with prayers.




I love scrap booking cards...some are so gorgeous...some so cute..and all made by talented people.


Here are some of the gifts..I thought you would enjoy seeing...




This teapot is just toooo CUTE!



Isn't this little dove...just so SWEET.



And if you have never seen these made...they are wonderful. Coasters hand made with tiles and scrap booking stamps!



There was sixteen different packages to open. Each gift has meant so much to me...touched my heart with such caring friends...

AT SUCH A TIME...

and one in particular gift was this lovely "Forget Me Not" tea cup and saucer.





The lady who gave me this; is the boss of one of our young women. She has visited out church a couple of times and we spoke briefly...and I have done business with them at their shop ..just once, but we chatted and I invited her last year to our Ladies Luncheon. Business kept her from being able to attend. A very nice person.

The card read:
This is very old, it was my grandmothers. Love, Diana.


When she heard that I had Breast Cancer and the ladies making up a birthday basket for me, she wanted to have a part in it. She said that her grandmother and mother had died of Breast Cancer. She wanted to give ME.....a part of her LIFE! I'm so overwhelmed with this sweet thoughtful gift that must have meant sooo much to her!!

She wanted to reach out...and let me know...she cared. and I know.

Gifts are nice to receive...but more than all is that gift of the heart that is shown by the sacrifice of others. My friends who took the time to make this day special for me...and the acquaintance that sought to show her concern and care in such a personal way.

The world is filled with loving hearts....how blessed I am to be one that knows so many.

THIS IS THE DAY
... my heart is overwhelmed....humbled....so thankful.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in they presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Psalm 16:11


HOPE

14 comments:

J.H said...

I was encouraged by your story :-) I didn't know you ever had breast cancer, but I can see your faith has beat it to the floor. You are so lucky to be surrounded by people who loved you the most. I wish you a blessed happy birthday.

Susan said...

How precious of your friends and family to do so much for you on your birthday! All the gifts are beautiful, but I cried over the teacup and the sweet meaning behind it, and for it to come from an acquaintance . . . very touching.

Happy Birthday, and I'm praying that the Lord will give you many, many more! :)

Deborah said...

Happy birthday!!
What a wonderful birthday surprise. It's so good to know you are surrounded by friends and loved ones....so many people who care.
The gifts are beautiful, but my favorite picture is the one of you....it's so nice to see you...even if it's fuzzy!

Abounding Treasures said...

Happy Birthday!

How special of your friends to do this for you ... the story behind the teacup and the woman who gave it to you, warmed my heart and brought tears to my eyes :o)

May the Lord continue to show His care to you in any way He chooses!

Blessings, dear Hope as you journey with Him!

Maxine said...

Hope, dear: I didn't know about your breast cancer! Somehow, I don't know how, you and I got out of touch. I just added you to my prayer journal and also have put myself as a follower of your blog so that this doesn't happen again. God's mercies and blessing be yours, Sister, as He takes you through the valley.
How wonderful to have received so many expressions of love that have been yours these past days.
A belated Happy Birthday!

A Quiet, Gracious Life said...

What a lovely surprise and you received some *lovely* and *thoughtful* gifts.

You are so pretty! It was fun to see what you look like, you look so young!

Happy Birthday!

~Michele

Seeking Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Hope,
I live in NC. I think we may live in neighboring states.
Happy Birthday!!! May the Lord bless you with many many more!!!!
Bren

Sara said...

this is a little late,but happy birthday! My birthday was Tuesday--that's funny how close our birthdays areIt looks like you had a lovely day. =)

~~Deby said...

oh Hope...what a beautiful suprise for a very special lady...
I am thankful that you have such special people in your life that care so deeply to make your birthday a real TREAT !!!
The pictures are great---especially the picture of YOU !
Did you get your pathology report?
Love
Deby

Liesa said...

Hope,
What a wonderful post! And I'm soooo glad you had so many surprises for your birthday! Sounds like you are a very loved lady! I was oohing and awwing over the tea pot...and then I read about the tea cup, and I just got Jesus bumps! What a precious gift and gesture. I can tell you have touched many people's lives.

I pray you have a complete and quick recovery.

May God Bless you.

Happy Birthday,
Liesa @ Life By George

A Quiet, Gracious Life said...

Thinking of you and wondering how things turned out with the pathology report.

I reread this post and it was even more special to read the second time. (o:

Blessings!

Joy said...

Oh, HOPE, such beautiful gifts and such wonderful, thoughtful, loving people. The teapot is so pretty and I love the ceramic coasters. That is something I could make and give my friend--Good Sally. I have something for you and will mail it off on Monday! Thinking of you! Thanks for sharing the pic of you and Gus. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Emily Anne said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday! So special. :) Cute blog too.

Blessings to you!
Emily Anne

Joy said...

HOPE, so glad to hear the good news that you left on my blog.... will get back to you tomorrow.