Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day by Day


Day by day and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear,
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best-
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He whose name is Counsellor and Pow'r
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure",
This the pledge to me He made.

Help me then in every tribulation,
So to trust Thy promises O Lord,
That I lose not faith's sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy word.
Help me Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E'er to take, as from a father's hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting
Till I reach the promised land.

Linda Sandell Berg 1832-1903

This Hymn is very well known...but I wonder how this applies to you PERSONALLY.

For me...as I even wrote out each verse this morning ...touched me...VERY personally. The words penned by these authors surely were moved to write words that would apply to so many other saints of God.

Worldly music...to me...seems so impersonal...perhaps more Generic.

By Worldly, I mean; lets say Entertaining.

Definition: Entertain: to hold attention...to admit into the mind (NOTE-not heart!)

GENERIC
: like our medicines...NOT the REAL thing! I for one have had an allergic reaction to Generic meds! I didn't HELP my need!

Definition: Generic: NOT protected.

This Hymn...has the protection of God's promises! Found in HIS WORD!

For all the promises of God in him, are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us. II Corinthians 1:20

Notice even one of the verses in this Hymn says:

The protection of his child and treasure Is a charge that on Himself He laid; "As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure," This the pledge to me He made.

A pledge...a PROMISE.

Help me then in every tribulation So to trust Thy promises, O Lord....

Trust those promises. TRUST: definition: Confidence...surety...committed.

And so this morning this Hymn applies to me..PERSONALLY.

Day by Day... I rely on God, on His promises, on His mercies...to get me through my own "personal" trials. With a special mercy for each hour.

..faiths sweet consolation...Offered within Thy Holy Word.

It is here that I find my (sweet) consolation..THE WORD OF GOD. My TREASURE.

HIS WORDS to me..personally.




Genesis 1:5a And God called the light Day...

The first DAY...bore LIGHT.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

I must needs...keep HIS WORD in my heart each DAY...Day by Day.

The trial of this day for me...missing my children and grand children.

A great void in my life...yet, never far from my heart.

God HIMSELF..fills this void as none other can...by the mercies of each hour.

By his loving promises found in HIS WORD.

Truly..Day by Day...Til I reach the promised land.

May God strengthen you this day in your hour of trial..

This is the day...rejoice! God's promises are yours!

HOPE by the way..photo collage is of my g'children!

9 comments:

Deborah said...

This is one of my favorite hymns! And yes, can be applied to each of our lives. I like the way you broke it down with the definitions.
It's so important that our music be based on the word of God, not just a catchy tune that entertains; that appeals to the flesh but does nothing to edify the listener or to glorify God.

Kelly Johnson said...

One of my very favorite hymns also! Good music is so important and these old hymns really teach us about the character of the Lord! Thank you for the reminder.

GraceFromHim said...

Great post, love this hymn! One of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.
God Bless you!

~~Deby said...

beautifully written Hope...and so timely for me...we just came home from vacation and my heart seems so raw ...missing those I saw ...memories created, relationships restored...etc..I KNOW you know....thanks for this and you are right, the words are supported with the WORD of GOD unlike many many un-doctrinal so called worshippy type songs today...
Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

My favourites are hymns and songs that are based on scripture and are full of God's promises directly from His Word ... they touch my heart and my mind and either encourage and strengthen me or embolden me with regard to what's important to my Glorious Lord and Saviour.

Thanks for sharing your heart in this post :o)

Maxine said...

This is a hymn I love so much. And how I agree with you about the words written by the writers of the hymns. Didn't our God know we would need these words years down the road? What gifts. I really do appreciate your well thought out words in this post.

SmallOneDay said...

Hi you can to my blog living for God and asked if you could use some pic I put up you are more then happy to use what ever you see.

Aliene said...

I had someone to sing this song at my Dad's funeral. It has meant so much to me and I have found comfort in the strength He gives Day by Day.
Thanks for posting it.

Mrs.C said...

What a beautiful post!

So full of God's truth and love!

I completely understand where your coming from, other music does not do a thing for me, it's empty.

How I love music full of truth and revelation of who our God is!