Friday, October 1, 2010

Hymn and Devotional Series...Showers of Blessings



As I go through this series...I want to either reflect upon a devotional thought or something that has happened in regards to the Hymn chosen.

I just returned from a trip to upstate New York to visit my eldest daughter and her four children...MY beautiful, fun,loving GRAND CHILDREN! The entire visit was Showered with Blessings!! With this thought...I'd like to share some of the moments and the Hymn.

There Shall Be Showers of Blessing...note the Hymn title...there SHALL!!!

not might be..could be...SHALL BE!!! What a promise!!

There shall be showers of blessing
This is the promise of Love,
There shall be seasons refreshing
Sent from the Saviour above.

Showers of blessing, Showers of blessing we need
Mercy drops round us are falling, But for the showers we plead.


Daniel W. Whittle, 1840-1901 James McGranahan, 1840-1907

As an empty nester, my heart continually longs for the hugs and love of my children and grandchildren. The VOID at times seems unbearable...but GOD my Saviour has continually lifted my heart with rejoicing as I walk with him. Such comfort comes when I have put my trust in HIM and realized MY LIFE is NOT...my own. Therefore, whatever STATE I am in...I MUST be content; and live ONE day at a time. I have found that in yielding my heart in this manner...I can...and do...make it through those Seasons of loneliness.

As the song says...There SHALL be seasons refreshing...Sent from the Father above.

Showers of blessings we NEED... God knows them ALL! PRAISE HIS NAME!

I was surprised when I left them...the PEACE that came instead of a heavy heart..as I anticipated I'd have...But, peace comes at SUCH A TIME!!

Oh, the Showers of Blessing we enjoyed during our visit!

Fellowship with Saints at my daughter's TWO churches! TWO because of the weather where she lives...one is closer in time of SNOW and the other where she use to live and couldn't leave them! BLESSINGS of answered prayer in God's care, while her husband is serving in Afghanistan. TWO churches watching over her family.

How THANKFUL I am. Showers of Blessings!!

I will post more about our trip with Hymns...

But, I also wanted to share how this song came to mind also as we traveled the roads home. A long 18 hour trip. Raining the entire time. My son living in North Carolina called us in concern over the weather; warning us that the entire East Coast was expecting Thunderstorms and high winds. (Tropical conditions). If you know me...I do NOT like driving in storms...let alone at night; which is when we would be arriving to the North Carolina border. FUN.

I bowed my head in prayer...and gave my day to the LORD. I decided then and there..that I was NOT going to worry...I WAS GOING TO TRUST THE LORD!!! Whatever YOUR WILL LORD...let it be.

That morning in my devotional reading...Proverbs of the day...

Proverbs 27:1 Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

As we began to approach some heavier weather and a vehicle accident...bringing us to a complete stop...sitting there for quite some time. I had hoped to meet up with a dear friend on the way home, but text her that due to time and weather; we wouldn't be able, as I didn't want them driving out in the HORRIBLE weather. She called back and said, she and her family INSISTED we stop in AND stay overnight! Since we were sitting there and had no where to go...My husband said..WE SHOULD.

We just so happened...to be at HER exit! and able to drive a back road to her home...have a wonderful meal together...SHOWERED WITH BLESSINGS...of GODLY fellowship, a soft bed and her dad made us breakfast before departing...at 7:30 in the MORNING. LOVE of BRETHREN!!!

and...we drove home in the LIGHT of the day and SUNSHINE all the way home!!!

The next two days...ALL the areas we had traveled were under flooding conditions and strong winds...

Truly, we do not know what a day brings forth...

some..full of wonderful SHOWERS OF BLESSINGS!!!

PRAISE THE LORD...he truly cares for even the smallest matters in our lives!

I pray this was an encouragement to you...in trusting the LORD...a little more...EACH DAY.

HOPE

6 comments:

A Quiet, Gracious Life said...

What a blessing this post was to me! You see we are going through some things where we MUST trust in the Lord for His guidance and care. Thank you for the reminder that not only can He be trusted but when we do trust Him, He often brings us blessings on top of it! (o:

Debbie said...

Isn't it a testimony to His greatness and love when He takes care of us as he did you all?
His hand was so obvious in your story. I love that hymn; one of the best!
I can only imagine your joy at seeing your little loved ones so far away. I have one all the way up in Maine at present. How I long to see her!
Happy Fall.

Barbara said...

Amen what an inspiring post sweetie, I sure needed that, yes to God be the glory, and I love those showers of blessings, some are happy with dribbles but not me for the showers I plead, amen, thanks and lots of love, Barbara

~~Deby said...

This post did touch my heart, Hope. The grandchildren part, especially. We have to live, where the Lord puts us and in the circumstances, it is hard at times not to covet what we think, is the IDEAL...there is so much in parenting adult children. I am learning and learning that I have to keep so focused on the Lord. I am glad the Lord blessed you with a time of refreshing with your friends...and a safe ride there and back.
We shall be visiting our new granddaughter soon. I have never met her, and I am looking forward to it.

Deborah said...

Such an encouraging post! Sorry I took so long to get over here to read it.

Kelly Johnson said...

What a blessing this was to me about one of my favorite hymns!